Monday, December 04, 2006

sapphoq grieves for new orleans 12/4/06


New Orleans is under water
and I grieve
for the lost.

I grieve for my sisters and brothers
whose candles were snuffed out
as the rains came
and came again.

I grieve for the children,
the parents,
the grands,
the familiars and the pets,
who had to leave their lives behind
or who themselves were left.

This then is the true meaning of grief--
an ache that does not go away.
It's been years
since I've been there,
but my heart has never left.

-sapphoq




Author's Notes: I used to live in Baton Rouge back in 1978.
Gas was cheaper then.
New Orleans was part of my stomping grounds--
which extended from eastern Texas
through
Alabama, Mississippi,
and Tennessee.

I look forward to being able to return
for a visit. And I wish the people of
New Orleans the best.

I hope that the communities in New Orleans
have been able to pull together rather
than waiting for the government
to do it.

May there never be another Katrina.

-sapphoq on life

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I feel thier pain, but Katrina will happen again ... different name ... same results ... It's the process of natural selection that usually forces people to leave land that is 8 feet below sea level and next to the sea ... The greedy politicians down there will spend whatever the criminals don't and the levees will never be repaired ... Sorry to be blunt but I have a hard time crying for anyone that was still in Pompei when Vesuvius went off too ;-) JC