Friday, December 23, 2011

Free falling with Lewey Body Dementia



My dad has been dealing with Lewey Body Dementia for about ten years now.  He is staying nearby in an assisted living place.  I see him almost every day.  In the course of the past year, we have shared many memories.  We have also talked about politics, dogs, and family.  I really cherish this time with my dad.  I never ever thought that he would be living up here.

Through our time together-- whether it is spent at the V.A. waiting for medical appointments, in a local diner, or just sitting in his room watching him speak with the Bill Collector of the Month over the phone-- I've gotten to really know my dad better than I ever had before.  Although his Lewey Body Dementia has robbed him of his former life and a marriage, the fundamental of who my dad is shines on through his battered brain.

Lewey Body Dementia is not the same as Alzheimer's .  The two dementias are quite separate but can co-exist.  There are some important differences.  Alzheimers does have a genetic component and there is at least one form that specifically runs in families.  Lewey Body Dementia does not.  The course of Alzheimers is relentless, steady, and able to be staged.  Lewey Body Dementia cannot be staged.  Any of the symptoms can occur at any time during the course of the disease process.  Also, folks with Lewey Body Dementia will often evidence a wide range of skills and deficits on any given day, which can vary from day to day.  It is unfair to lump Alzheimers' folks and Lewey Body Dementia folks together in one nursing unit.  The folks with Lewey Body Dementia are not as mobile for as long as the Alzheimers' folks are.  There can be more Parkinsonian-like features because of the involvement of the brain stem with Lewey Body Dementia Lesions.  The largest similarity that I've found is that both conditions are utterly disruptive of a life.  Dementia splits up families, pits caregivers and loved ones against each other, and frequently impoverishes the sufferer.  More information, and more accurate information can be found at the Lewey Body Dementia Association website.
Here is the link: http://www.lbda.org/ .  Any mistakes in the description above are my own.  I am a daughter of an aging parent who has Lewey Body Dementia.  I am not any sort of expert.  Anything I express here is not intended to take the place of medical advice.  What I offer here is anecdotal only at best.

And yes, I am a daughter of an aging parent with Lewey Body Dementia.  As painful as it has been for me to bear witness to the times when confusion and frustration take over my dad's thinking, it is far more painful for him.  Dad knows he has Lewey Body Dementia (most days).  I am losing one person, someone that I've always held dear to me in my heart of hearts.  My dad is losing everyone.  But meanwhile, there is still a bunch of living to do.

sapphoq on life

No comments: