Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Getting Drunk at People Does Not Work



Every set of drinking buddies always drank worse than the last set.  I kept trading down.  The worse my drinking got, I had to find folks that drank more than I did.  Then when I surpassed them, the search was on again.  The second to last set of drinking buddies was a couple in their forties.  It was his second marriage, to which he brought his teenager son along.

The son was quiet.  A bit too quiet.  His father and step-mother were regular drunks, whose level of drunkenness I had been aspiring to.  One Sunday morning we went and cleaned up the V.F.W.  We vacuumed.  And we drank everything they had.  

Some weekend shortly after that, one of our regular bartenders made the mistake of telling me that the step-mother was beating on her step-son.  Maybe it wasn't really a mistake to tell me, I don't know.  I used that as an excuse to go barhopping and get drunker than Hel.  Five hours later, I had passed out in the backroom of another bar someplace else.  

I got home, got hungover, got cleaned up enough to go to work the following Monday.  The son continued to get beat upon.  Drinking at my two drinking buddies was ineffective.  The correct action would have been to get some help for the teenager son.  But I didn't do that.  Drinking at my two drinking buddies was Epic FAIL.

sapphoq on life

No comments: