Tuesday, February 20, 2007

ASHES ASHES WE ALL FALL DOWN 2/20/07

I remember singing "Ring-Around-the-Rosie" when I was in nursery school with the other kids. We were in the park cut in half by a road traveled by cars into the open windows of which I dropped ice cream cones into when I got older from a bridge.

I remember in Kindergarden knowing that "London Bridge" had to do with a faraway place called England.

I remember singing along with Jerry Jeff, "And even the London Bridge has fallen and moved to Arizona and I know why..." or words to that effect.

I remember knowing Major Thom was a Junkie and knowing Mardi Gras first-hand in New Orleans and Fat Tuesday.

I remember not knowing anything about Fat Tuesdays when I was growing up and getting those mysterious smudges on my forehead on Ash Wednesday. We were supposed to be thinking of Ashes to Ashes and Dust to Dust. Somehow though, Major Thom's a Junkie rips through me when I see those ashes on the foreheads of other folks now.

I remember any sense of my old self been burnt away sometime between hitting my head repeatedly on the ceiling of that car "which I never liked much anyways" [as I told the ambulance lady] and tearing a new hippo-asshole of a hole into the cement foundation of a white house. The white house for once was an innocent bystander. I had been a somewhat soiled but naive driver until that microsecond when the multiverse in my brain tore into shreds.

We all fall down. Some of us float up. Some of us become Major Thom, others the London Bridge. Some of us find pieces of our old selves and try to reformat. The rest of us chuck the ashes into a gutter or a mass grave and get on with life.


sapphoq on life

***** ***** ***** **

Where Does The Catholic Ash Wednesday Originate From?
by Wes Penre

Every Catholic in the world "knows" what Ash Wednesday is; it is the
Wednesday after Quinquagesima Sunday, which is the first day of the Lenten
fast. This is the day when Catholics put ash on their forehead as a
religious tradition. The question is; how many devoted Catholics know the
REAL story behind Ash Wednesday? How many know that this tradition has clear
pagan roots? I found an easy-to-follow explanation on Hour of the Time
website:

"It [Ash Wednesday] was taken from Roman paganism, which took it from Vedic
India. Ashes were called the seed of the fire god Agni, with power to
forgive sins. Ashes were said to were a symbol for the purifying blood of
Shiva, in which, one could bathe away sins. During Rome's New Year Feast of
Atonement in March, people wore sackcloth and bathed in ashes to atone for
their sins. As the dying god of March, Mars took his worshippers sins with
him into death. The carnival fell on dies martis, the Day of Mars. In
English, this was Tuesday, because Mars was identified with the Saxon god
Tiw. In French the carnival day was Mardi Gras, "Fat Tuesday," the day of
merrymaking before Ash Wednesday.

Ashes are the residue of fire, and just as fire is regarded in mythology and
folklore as something which purifies and also regenerates, or brings new
life, so the same properties are associated within ashes.

The ancient Jews sacrificed a red heifer by fire, the ashes being used to
purify the unclean. The ancient Egyptians burned red-haired men, not as a
purificatory rite but so that their ashes could be scattered on the fields
to quicken the seed in the earth. At the root of the custom of burning
living creatures in sacred fires to fertilize the soil lies the conviction
that ash is the soul of fire and so bring renewal.

An entirely different way of looking at ashes is found among medieval
alchemists, who saw them as the dead body of a substance. If you burned a
piece of wood, the smoke rising up was the "soul" of the wood and the ashes
left behind were its corpse.

Cremation of a body comes from these beliefs. - Rob T."

C Copyright Illuminati News. Permission granted to re-send, post and place
on web sites for non-commercial purposes, if shown with no alterations or
additions. Excerpts from the article are allowed, as long as they do not
distort the concept of the same article. This notice must accompany all
reposting.

No comments: